Monday, September 27, 2010

Oh, Boy, Big Brother


Erma Bombeck asked, "If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?"

I'd be grateful for the pits right now.

I phoned the Construction Industries Department of the State of New Mexico early this morning. It soon became apparent that every time I opened my mouth the situation went from bad to worse.

The secretary remembered me from the day before. She said, "You told me that you were going to add a room or something."

I told her that I said nothing of the sort. What I had said was that this was a temporary situation and I hoped to make the single wide into a tack room down the road. There was no mention of building, or adding additions, or modifying the original design. I simply said that the long term plan was to use the building as a tack room.

She put me on the phone with an inspector. I explained to him, "Look, I was the victim of Robert Huckins, I need to restore the single-wide to serviceable condition which simply means that I have to replace the broken windows, some molded or missing flooring, put in new doors so I can live in it quickly. I would, eventually like to drop the building onto a foundation, stucco it and make it into a tack room. But that may be 2-3 years from now."

He put me back on the phone with the secretary so I could obtain the permit. She immediately said, "Seeing as you are going to stucco the building we need an engineers report."

Is something wrong here.. permits only last a certain amount of time and I have to hire an engineer to get a permit for something I am going to do "down the road?" On a SINGLE WIDE?

That inspector phoned the inspector who red tagged the trailer and shut the work down. He returned to me and said, "The inspector who red tagged you wants an engineers report."

This is what I learned thus far:

If you replace 45 x 43 windows with 48x48 windows you need an engineers report AND a permit.

If you replace 2x2 rotten molded wood from around the window and replace it with 2x4 "frame house quality studs" you need and engineers report AND a permit.

If you build a roof over the top of a single wide you need a SEPARATE permit.

I asked how much the permits cost. $65.00 was the answer.

In fact no matter WHAT you want to do WITH YOUR OWN PROPERTY you need to spend money on the New Mexico State Government so that they can give a nod of the head and leave you alone.

Where WAS the Construction Industries Division of the State of New Mexico when Robert Huckins was stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from clients, building without insurance/bond, without blueprints, engineers reports, permits, or inspections and NOT ONE person from CID stopped him? In fact.. they HELPED him!

Sally Canning, Laughing Sheep Restaurant, Old Lincoln, NM
I contacted CID (Construction Industries Division) in Santa Fe. They came down and inspected and wrote Huckins a letter stating he had 30 days to make repairs and bring my construction up to code or they would bring him before the "board" for a hearing and could possibly reject/void his license to operate. Robert Huckins ignored the letter, and CID did nothing, either. I have the inspectors names and their letters. - Sally Canning
http://roberthuckinsvictims.com/resources.html


I telephoned the newspaper and gave an update of what was happening NOW. They put me in contact with a local engineer.

“When we give up our rights that we have in the Constitution to privacy, to know that Big Brother is not looking over our shoulder, we give up a valuable entity in this country.” - Dave Robertson