Thursday, May 26, 2011

Deafening Silence


The silence has been simply deafening today. No sudden announcements of more tornadoes, floods or wildfires but that doesn't mean that there wasn't any. It simply means that I was too far from a source of media to hear of any.

The satellite photo's of Joplin, Missouri are horrendous. This is what total devastation looks like in the aftermath. This is what is remaining when people have seen their lives flash before their eyes. This is what it looks like before you find all the dead and missing.

No matter how much I try I cannot imagine how human beings are going to be able to face the rebuilding process after so much destruction. It is unimaginable. Yet today I got into a debate about the middle east. The heartache and heartbreak of the loses and destruction caused by nature, is what we are deliberately doing to others on a much grander scale.

It may not be politically correct to say so, but I doubt that I have ever been politically correct in my life. What I do know is that human beings are precious. Their hearts break, and they have a right to not have their hearts broken other than the harshness that life can give without our help.

So today I was particularly pensive and lost in thought about one thing.. people. Human beings and.... humanity.




Behind the scenes, no longer taking front page attention, the floods continue to rise and spread in Louisiana. And homes are going under water. People's lives are being destroyed.

If I had one wish, only one. I probably wouldn't wish for wealth, health or happiness. I would wish that all who profess Christ could show the love of Christ to all. No matter what their color, creed, nationality, religion or where they lived.

With simply glorious weather this hasn't been a day to worry or fret about my own home, but tomorrow I have to return to the inevitable and unenviable place of trying to do what I have been unable to do. Renovate that single wide and barn. And I do so praying with diligence that God calms the storms in the United States and spares everyone else further hardship and heartbreak..
I pray the same for those in the Middle East..

You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. ~Marie Curie