Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Houston, We Have A Problem


I am trying to see the humor in yesterday, if there is humor to be found.

I have no tolerance to chemicals. I was 48 years old before I ever walked into a bar, I don't drink alcohol and have no tolerance for alcohol in my system. If someone sat next to me with a glass of wine I could probably get drunk off the smell ~ my tolerance is so low.

Neither have I ever taken any drugs in my life. I am painfully naive about street drugs, and not much better with prescription drugs. Each week I go and pick up prescription medication for my boss from Lawrence Bros. pharmacy and it's an exercise in frustration trying to figure out WHAT I am picking up.

For the migraines I stick with *Excedrin for Migraines. If that product won't move it I suffer. But yesterday was beyond the "worst" and I could handle the pain no longer, so a friend gave me a painkiller. I would have been wonderful had the painkiller worked without adverse effects.. but it didn't. I should have known better when I was advised not to drive after taking the painkiller.

Within minutes I felt as though I was going to fall asleep walking. I went to lay down thinking that I would peacefully go to sleep and that would stop the intense pain, but sleep wouldn't come. The migraine didn't go, it seemed to slip into the background lessening the intensity but for hours I remained groggy ~ not asleep, not awake, somewhere floating off with no physical ability to move. Had this shed set on fire I would have had no capability to get myself out. And my stomach churned as though a skill saw was going wild inside me.

By 6.30 pm I had started to fall asleep but those hours leading up to that were mortifying. Being so ill and not having the ability to move made me realize what a handicapped/disabled person must feel. It is a simply shocking emotional turmoil.

I woke up at 1 am still fairly groggy, weak on my legs but capable of moving. In below freezing temperatures sweat literally poured off me, and thin layers of ice had formed on my face and arms. Around 3.45 am I went back to bed again and slept until 8.30 am. When I woke up the second time all the affects of the medication had gone... but I had a lousy migraine.

I bet I won't do that again in a hurry. :(

One's first step in wisdom is to question everything - and one's last is to come to terms with everything. ~ - Georg C. Lichtenberg