Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cold And Getting Colder


The 1st of May arrived with something we just never expected, bitter cold weather.. winter making another visit in spring. I froze all night and don't seem to be fairing well today even thought it got to 40 degrees. There is an irony that having planted the vegetable garden for my boss I ran around yesterday afternoon covering everything with hay and blankets - yet I froze.

Still, today is one of the few days I have not struggled with a debilitating migraine so I had to finish up as much work as I possibly could while my health permits even if the weather is less than compassionate.

Marketing horses has given me the opportunity to get out of the elements for a few hours, but the internet connection is so poor during cold weather that it's been an exercise in frustration. I have no idea what is going to happen to our industry. The economic situation is precarious at best and so many people face terribly difficult times.

This is one of those Sundays when you simply want to stay home, light a fire.. cook dinner and smell baking coming from the direction of the kitchen. When you just want the warmth and security of home and family. Today thousands of people across the nation can't go home. These are beyond sad days, these are heartbreaking days and many who have lost everything, like myself, will find it hard to go on.

A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people.~ Mohandas K. Gandhi