Sunday, October 10, 2010

Everyone Must Row With The Oars They Have...

Yesterday I spent a few hours finishing up painting the exterior of the concrete barn. I returned to Alto exhausted and intended to take a nap around 2.30 pm, but didn't wake up until 8.45 pm.
Not until I woke up did I realize that I was covered in "adobe" colored paint. I wonder if I could market it as "body art."

The weather yesterday was simply gorgeous. Not a rain cloud in sight, warm enough to be comfortable. It was one of the very first days I have enjoyed working without fretting over impending rain.

Even in this situation I had to see the humor of one middle aged woman with NO building knowledge stood in the middle of a building site, trying to make lemonade out of lemons. The property has to be one of the most beautiful pieces of land I have ever been on. It is the most peaceful and isolated place, where deer and elk wonder in and vehicles are rarely seen.

Half the land, where the barn was built, is in a small "valley" where the water has washed down top soil from higher elevations for thousands of years. It's not a large piece of land, but it certainly is a nice piece of land.

After I received the infamous e-mail sent through the Methodist Church I went into sheer panic - a serious panic attack - and phoned Bob at Assist-To-Sell and explained what had happened, asked him to get rid of it. I so wanted to get out of Lincoln County, I was so deeply hurt.

Yet every plan I made to leave fell apart days before I was due to drive away. It was one thing after another.

I can't fault Bob at Assist-To-Sell for he tried above and beyond what any real estate agent could have done, and the land, like almost all land in Lincoln County during this recession, wouldn't sell. Perhaps I wasn't supposed to leave. I have been here almost all my adult life, I can't imagine having to start all over again somewhere I don't know anyone.

This month the contract with Assist-To-Sell expires. Until the economy regains some strength nothing is going to sell unless it's literally given away.

Weeks ago, while Larry & John replaced the living room windows and put in a new door I was so ill all I could do was sit in the living room of the trailer and watch them work. Looking out of those windows, into the front paddock, with the Capitan mountain range as a backdrop, was one of the prettiest and most serene experiences I have ever had.

The fact that it was a $1,000 junked trailer instead of a $82,200 adobe style home didn't decrease that view, and the peacefulness of the land.

After finishing painting I started looking around to see what I could do.
Clearly the roof is going to have to go on the barn in this waiting period. The damage being done to the brand new construction material is causing me some serious grief and worry. I simply can't afford to replace it, but legally can't use it.I agree with John that there is much we can do inside the trailer that is within the law. But to add to the frustration I can't reach John, and have no idea where he is so I'm fairly confident that we will not be working on anything this week-end, when the weather is just perfect.

Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat.-Jean-Paul Sartre