Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hope Is The Thing With Feathers,That Perches In The Soul


I'm back to having a semblance of hope that I will have a home in the not too distant future. I found a beautiful used wooden/glass door with jam/frame that may be ideal for the back door. It really is a fabulous door that would cost a fraction of what I paid for the front door. And perhaps an already set up utility pole. If I can buy it before someone else gets to it that will be one down and one to go.

The weather is simply gorgeous, with a high of 69-70 and it should remain so well into next week.

Yesterday an old friend found me on Facebook. She relocated from Montana to New Mexico and promptly had ALL of her savings embezzled by a real estate agent, and returned to Montana 2 years ago.There should be laws to protect people from thieves, people shouldn't be forced to live in a lawless society. But we seem to be moving further and further away from victim rights.
Listening to her story really made my heart ache. It's wrong to steal people's dreams, it's wrong to leave them homeless. It makes no difference how long people get away with stealing it will catch up on them and justice will be gained. "Eternity" should be a terrifying thought to some.

I have two dogs. Both rescue's.

My oldest daughter found "Rio" wondering through the Wal-Mart parking lot when she could hardly be 6 weeks old. The very second I arrived at the Lazy J Running TB & QH Ranch with Rio Jan recognized that pup.

Jan has spend 45 years or more breeding and training hunting dogs, and is one of the best dog (show) groomers I have ever met. Mike is an AKC Field Trial judge. Jan immediately told me that Rio was out of a champion short haired pointer that they knew very well, but the father was suspected to be a pit bull that lived in the area.
Rio's hunting instinct is acute. She is an athletic but still in the giddy pup stage of life. I always say that she acts as though she needs a heavy dose of valium to settle her down.

"Copper" is a simply gorgeous gold and white hound who is, in conformation, picture perfect. Like Rio she has been in the family since she was 6 weeks old. She and my grand-children were raised together. Living in the village she found living in a fenced yard intolerable and soon started to jump the fence, or dig under it, whenever everyone was at work. It became a daily "walkabouts" for her and problematic for my family.

Even as a tiny puppy she was enamored with me, and would hang onto my shirt tail each time I house sat for my daughter, or babysat my grand-children. I took her to retrain and it's been an absolute blessing. I have never regretted it.
No longer does she flee, or try to go walkabouts, but remains steadfast watching me and the truck she has claimed as her territory.
Her bay is so deep that she can terrify someone without any knowledge of dogs, but it's a lot of noise and no substance. UNLESS she doesn't like you.

They are delightful dogs that everyone within the professional horse and dog industry sincerely love and appreciate. The two dogs simply adore Jan, they worshiped Macky, Tom, Suzie and they can see no further than John Boyd. When John drives up they almost jump out of their skin with excitement. But I have become the focus of their devotion. If anyone is a threat to me they will react instinctively, and I have learned to not discount their wisdom. If they don't like someone I should beware.

As Jan say's, "Smart girls.. listen to them."

My daughter and son-in-law recently acquired a new home because the owners dog adored them, but didn't like the other person interested in the house. The owner frankly announced that if her dog disliked someone that was a warning sign.

Shortly after Oscar was killed Rio & Copper started breaking out in a skin condition. Jan looked at Rio on Thursday, and we have gone through every possible medical explanation without finding an answer. Is it poison? Is it an allergy?

I phoned Jan early this morning because it's starting to seriously worry me. After a hilarious 30 minute conversation in which neither one of us could recall the name of a specific medication she offered to go to Ruidoso and pick it up.
It's an "age" thing. Memory doesn't always serve us well.

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience. ~Woodrow Wilson