Monday, January 3, 2011

The Big Thaw...


Yesterday the weather turned nice enough for me to do a lot of work in a few short hours, before the freeze started in again. Everyone say's that the village didn't get snow, so I am assuming that all of the snow landed in one place, and that one place is right outside this shed.
Yesterday it turned to slush & mud. This morning it's solid ice.

I'm running such a high fever I can't even guess what the temperature is though the weatherbug assured me that this morning 22 degree's quickly went to 38 degree's. Which is a serious warming trend.

Throughout the night I tossed, turned, got up, went to bed and got up again well into the early morning and not until 2.30 am did it dawn on me that I ate nothing all of Sunday.
Normally I can't sleep because I'm so cold. Last night I felt like the shed was a hothouse even though I know the temperature was below 10 degree's.
As I struggled with hurting lungs, a violent migraine and an overwhelming need to seek a cooler place I didn't miss the humor in this sudden change. I kept trying to recall a poem from my youth. "When it's hot she wants it cold, when it's cold she wants it hot, always wanting what is not."
By 8am all I wanted to do was sleep. I am so exhausted.

There are times when I have a not totally unrealistic fear that I will end up dying in this shed. Last night was one of those times.

If any television producers are reading this blog I have a wonderful idea for a television series. "Extreme Lifestyles of the over 55." Perhaps AARP would finance the series. At 7,000 ft elevation, in national wilderness area under a ski resort, this is about as extreme as I would want it to become.

"By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere."
- Billy Crystal