Thursday, April 28, 2011

National Day Of Prayer May 5th, 2011

For 36 hours I have been plagued with a crippling migraine, so bad I could barely cope with the pain. This stress is simply killing me and I'm totally lost at why the migraines are getting so bad. While trying to sleep late yesterday afternoon my oldest daughter phoned to tell me that an acquaintance my age suddenly died, and I'll have to admit that for a brief moment I was was jealous. To be rid of these worldly problems is something I don't totally desire, but exhausted at trying to cope with them it seems to be the better of two options.

The winds have died, for now, but the damage done across this nation is beyond a national tragedy. As I looked at the demolished homes, destroyed lives left by the multitude of tornado's I couldn't help but wonder if all of these people would be able to pick up and move on, or if many would fall through the cracks and find themselves facing long term homelessness like myself.

It isn't easy watching this when one is homeless. It's too close to home. The pain too real. The heartbreak too intense. Praying for those who have lost everything, especially those who have lost loved ones.

This e-mail arrived today and it is the most timely I have ever seen.

April 22, 2011 (Good Friday)

Dear Friends in our Lord Jesus Christ. My name is Petie Brown. I live on the Big Island in the state of Hawaii. I am no one special except to my Lord. I am a 66 year old retired teacher who has been grieving over the state of our country for some time now.

I am a strong believer in Jesus as my Lord and my Savior. I also believe that I am seeing all around me, all around the world that God is doing something right now, during our time. I believe He is trying to get our attention.

I believe He is showing us that He wants us to choose Him again, to turn from worshiping false gods like power, money, sex, drugs, and celebrity. I believe it's time to choose, to pray for forgiveness for our inattention and aloofness to His being our one and only God, creator, King, and Lord. So often we count on our big Christian leaders to pray for us and to go to Washington for us and to speak to the large crowds.

However, on May 5, regular everyday people can do their own standing, praying, and worshiping. Do you want to be counted as one who believes in Jesus as your Lord, who wants to repent for your own sins and those of our nation?

Do you want God to look down from heaven and see you stand up for Him? I certainly do.

This is the plan:

On the 2011 National Day of Prayer (Thursday May 5), let's all come outside and stand up for our God. No matter where we are or what we are doing, at our appointed time, we would either stand alone if we are alone or group up if we are able to do that.

Some will be at work, others will be at school, some with be at home. Some will be in a crowded city and some in a rural area. Each of us can decide how we will stand. Even if you are traveling, you could pull over to the side of the road at that moment and get out of the car and stand for your God.

Imagine what it would look like from heaven if each believer in Jesus as Lord, came out of their dwelling and stood outside praying, praising, singing or whatever they chose to do.

This standing would be all at the same time no matter where in the US you live. Let's plan for 12:00 noon in Hawaii time zone. That would make it 3:00pm Pacific Time, 4:00pm Mountain Time, 5:00pm Central Time, and 6:00pm Eastern.

Imagine at the exact same moment, no matter where you are, all believers standing up outside for their Lord and their God. Imagine. God would look down from heaven and see us all. Each of us can decide what we want to do personally and/or in our own community. Some communities may want to gather at a park at that time. Others may want to cluster in other ways.

For people working, make a way to get out of your building at your designated time and just stand outside and pray. It doesn't need to be long, just long enough to pray and worship and be counted. Let it be spontaneous, your personal expression of devotion to your God. Pray with all your heart.

If everyone who receives this, sends it to everyone they have on their email list, Facebook friends, Twitter friends, it would pass around very quickly to everyone in the USA and people could start making their plans with friends and coworkers as to how they will do this. We could amaze our nation. We could please God with our courage and love.

We keep talking about how far our nation has slipped from being One Nation Under God. May 5 is our day to stop complaining and to make our own stand. Those of you who do Facebook and Twitter, please send to everyone and do other connections I don't know about.

I have felt God calling on me to do this for some time now. It has only gotten stronger. I believe He is completely with us in this.

Let's do it.
Courage and blessings to you in Christ,
Petie Brown

Date: May 5, 2011 Time: 12:00 noon HST, 3:00 PST, 4:00 MST, 5:00 CST, and 6:00 EST


What comes from the heart, goes to the heart. - Samuel Taylor Coleridge