Sunday, April 3, 2011

White Fire





I rather suspect that this wasn't the right day to have a lousy migraine, around 1pm my oldest daughter phoned and said that a wildfire had started on Gavilan Canyon. The fire was, at that time, still on the ridge so I went over to Ruidoso Downs to get my four grand-children.

With dense smoke and flames leaping over the ridge towards Spaghetti Flats and Ruidoso Downs Racetrack a decision was made to go and pick up a horse trailer just in case the very out of control fire went over highway 70.



I have gone through a lot of mountain wildfires, but rarely have I seen any move this fast. With 45 to 65 mile winds this was a total nightmare.


As I drove back past the ridge my heart simply fell into my stomach as I watched the flames head towards Greenwoods Equestrian Stables, TR. Greens, and so many other horse barns. I knew that there was not going to be any method to save the homes and professional horse barns - and knowing how bitter it is to lose everything and start again my heart simply ached.

With a son-in-law on the front line fighting the fire, and a daughter with an ambulance at Fox Cave where the fire quickly jumped highway 70 I had to depend upon other to help.


My daughter's friend was kind enough to take the children. Not having a home to take my grand-children to in emergencies pains me more than I can describe. To have to say, "I am homeless myself and I have nowhere to go, let alone take four children, two horses, three dogs and two cats with me" is such a helpless feeling. It was the most excruciating frustration I have ever experienced.

My youngest daughter phoned Dan, and he came and tried to load "Loves To Waltz" and "Bugs Flight" but only Bugs Flight would load so we left them both with a hope and prayer that the wildfire wouldn't jump highway 70 and head towards my daughters home.


Praying with diligence for all parties involved, those who have lost their homes and facilities, those who are fighting the fire and for the individuals in the plane crash at Ruidoso airport earlier today.

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~ Tenneva Jordan