Sunday, June 19, 2011

Haze Daze


Jan phoned me this morning to let me know that a dressage trainer had contacted her seeking a dressage prospect, and to ask me if I would send the Jockey Club registry papers for the Storm Cat filly to the new owner in Albuquerque.
Before noon I received a telephone call from someone asking me to take another horse, but after the Lazy J horses are sold I can't handle anymore without being in a home. 20 years ago I could have roughed it, but I'm almost 60 years old, disabled, and I can't physically handle this "camping" out business - and survive it.
Still, despite the high winds I managed to get some gardening done today.

I have never seen the Sacramento's hidden behind so much dust before. By noon I watched the sky darken over Hondo, and as the high winds escalated the entire Sacramento mountains were engulfed in dense dust.You couldn't see the sun, nor the sky. All you could see was a red haze, which slowly darkened as evening fell. All day the wind blew dust through the shed, making it even more uncomfortable ~ if such is even possible.

Living in a shed making it virtually impossible for me to remain clean, but this is taking it from the ridiculous to the sublime. I am filthy, even my clean clothes are filthy. This is pretty nasty.

Dust storms are just not normal occurrences in these mountains, but we are surrounded by wildfires and the local wildfires of the past few months left scorched and dry earth. The weather is so hot, and the ground is so dry that we are a tinder box waiting for a spark.
We need rain in the most desperate way.

Malcolm Huckins, Dr. Kenneth Ogilvie, Patricia Ogilvie-Huckins, your brother, cousin, son stole our building fund and left me homeless. I can't plead with you anymore sincere than I am. I have paid the dues of this crime and I am begging for my building fund to be returned. We simply cannot have a home and the creature comforts we paid for unless we find that building fund. If it's within your power PLEASE make Robert & Sylvi Huckins do exactly that, without any further delay. No human being should be put through such anguish, heartbreak and homelessness.
Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander. ~ - Holocaust Museum, Washington, DC