Friday, June 17, 2011

Swallow Fire


On Wednesday, having had no sleep for 36 hours, I had to go to bed for the day. I was too ill, with a violent migraine, and exhausted to do anything else. I didn't wake up until 6 pm, so I had to get outside and do as much work as I was physically able while daylight allowed.
Yet by Wednesday night I was more than happy to get back to bed for I felt simply awful.

Yesterday morning I felt well enough to get as much work done as I possibly could ... it started out as a gorgeous day. At the Lazy J Jan and I discussed the economy, and how to become recession proof when it's starting to look more like depression era fears.
Being homeless in this economic instability is simply mortifying. I cannot tell anyone how scared I am.

Jan tried to persuade me that becoming ill was defeating and harming me further. I can't disagree but if human beings could control the physical and emotional damage stress is responsible for the doctors would have few patients and the hospital would be half empty.

Being homeless for 4 years, not being able to financially recover the money that was stolen in serious economic times. Not being able to get the barn and single wide finished is destroying me. No one is more aware of that than I am. But I can't find the money, and in such a deep recession I have been left betwixt a rock and a hard place.

Slightly after 2.30 pm I received the phone call that always stops your heart, a fire had broken out in a residential area on Hwy 70 and I needed to get to that side of the village without delay.


The Swallow Fire engulfed 10 acres and destroyed 8 homes. While my son-in-law was with the crews fighting the fire, my daughter had to take a patient to a hospital in another part of the state, and I was enlisted in wetting down their home and property, and trying to keep my grand-children calm as the dense smoke made it difficult for us to know what was happening at the fire scene.

I'm so unfamiliar with the reverse 911 system recently installed but if it is responsible for the response time that we saw yesterday from emergency service providers ~ then awesome doesn't quite describe it. It's awful to watch people lose their homes and belongings. It's beyond description because you so feel their pain and anguish. But this fire could have been our worst nightmare, as a community, come true. The area is densely populated and 300 homes could have gone up in flames within minutes.

Malcolm Huckins, Dr. Kenneth Ogilvie, Patricia Ogilvie-Huckins, your brother, cousin, son stole our building fund and left me homeless. He has been found guilty of fraud and embezzlement and was given 27 years in jail.
I have NO idea why he isn't in jail. I don't even know how he was allowed to steal so much money, from so many people, for such a long period of time without law enforcement stopping him. I don't know why organizations like the Domestic Violence Shelter didn't bring the hammer down on him. They should have, because this behavior is unacceptable. It's an embarrassment and shame on our society that he wasn't stopped years before and saved everyone unbelievable grief.

I just know that he and Sylvi Huckins have hidden the money and I can't obtain a home unless it's returned. Sylvi told myself and my daughter that we would not get the money back. SHE knows where the money is.

I wouldn't allow this to happen to you, nor anyone else. I just don't have it within my heart to watch people thrown into such dire straits because of human greed and illegal behavior. I couldn't even stand by and watch animals hurt let alone human beings.

I am appealing to your hearts. PLEASE intervene and make your cousin, brother, son return the stolen money so that I can live exactly as you do. In a home with trivial luxuries like a kitchen, bathroom, electricity. A door leading into a home which offers security and comfort.
So that I can see MY mother like Robert Huckins can see his mother.
I am literally begging you to get our building fund back so that we can have our lives back.

Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.