Thursday, February 3, 2011

-24 Below Zero


Now with rolling black outs.

I woke up with ice on my nose, no electricity - my only source of keeping this shed functional. Solid ice covered the concrete floor. In sheer panic I ran to my bosses house, through over a foot of snow, to make sure he was alright ... and walked into 90 degree heat when I opened his house door. It hit me with the same force that one feels when opening a hot oven.

You can't go from -24 below into 90 degrees without feeling violently ill, so as soon as the electricity returned I made his coffee and left not being able to withstand such high temperatures.

By noon we had a heatwave. 10 degree's.

The concrete floor in the shed seems to be "holding in" the bitter cold and my feet have been frozen for so long I'm wondering if all my toes are present and accounted for. This is really a bad situation, and that may be a major understatement.

The Governor declared a state of emergency for the entire state so it's become clearly obvious that in this go round plenty of people are in as bad, or worse, condition as I am in. My heart simply bleeds for those folks without heat or water, for I may not have adequate heat but I do have a couple of dogs and cats keeping me warm, and I DO have water.. for which I am blessed.

Gov. Susana Martinez declared a state of emergency on Thursday afternoon for a statewide gas shortage.Increased demand brought on by subzero temperatures caused decreased gas pressure around the state.Martinez said she increased the amount of hours that propane drivers can work to shore up the state’s supply of propane.The governor urged all residents to reduce energy consumption statewide by turning off all non-essential electrical appliances.“The use of electricity and the use of gas are not isolated. One impacts the other,” Martinez said. "Do not use appliances that are not necessary in the next 24 hours."Martinez said residents should not call 911. Instead, call non-emergency police and fire departments for assistance.

Tomorrow is supposed to start seeing this dangerously frigid weather leave. It may not leave as fast as it arrived, but I'm confident that by Saturday we will see temperatures that are not life threatening. It's doubtful that I can even start my truck until tomorrow at the earliest and I am praying that it will start when the temperature reaches 30 degree's, and I can get to the Lazy J.


At 10 pm Copper, my 2 yr old Majestic Tree Hound, went to sleep on my bed, and just died- highly likely an aneurysm. I am just heartbroken and stunned.

Down, down, down into the darkness of the grave. Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind; Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave. I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned. ~ Edna St. Vincent Millay