Tuesday, November 2, 2010

One Step At A Time....

Even though we couldn't get to work on the house today John and I made unbelievable progress with the barn. Moving tons of soil by hand is no easy task, but we shoveled, and shoveled, with John repeating, "one step at a time, we have to do this one step at a time" almost in rhythm to the shoveling.

Long after sunset left and darkness came we kept shoveling, until almost half of the barn was back as it should be. Flat ground, the concrete footings of the cinder block covered and protected. It actually started looked like a ...... 2,000 sq ft 8 stall horse barn, instead of a total disaster. Being able to walk in, instead of having to mountain climb through it just delighted me. It was one less thing to worry about, and my worry had certainly been justifiable.I was simply exhausted. It had taken over 5 hours straight. My hands covered in blisters, and my back and hips doubling me in pain but I was so overjoyed at seeing that soil over the footings I really didn't care.

I have never been so happy, simply overjoyed with thankfulness, as I was seeing John early this morning. Leaving him was so hard because I was in the mood to keep working even though my body was not. Finally it became so cold, and the physical pain so intense that I couldn't remain any longer.
Yet that desire to just walk into the house, make coffee and something to eat, was an almost irresistible urge.

Tired I looked at John and bluntly asked, "Am I ever going to be able to live here? This is my home, yet getting it from one stage to another is like walking on broken glass."

He shook his head and said, "one step at a time, we have to do this one step at a time!"

I picked the oak and glass door up late in the afternoon and took it directly to the house just thrilled to pieces with it. What a simply magnificent door that is. I couldn't have been happier had it been encrusted in precious jewels and delivered from Tiffany's.

This was a good day. No it was a wonderful day. Praying for another one tomorrow.One of the secrets of life is to make stepping stones out of stumbling blocks. - Jack Penn